Thursday, January 24, 2008

Suntrust and Gold Robes

I heard an advertisement on the radio last night that really bothered me. Suntrust bank is advertising that if you start a new checking account with them, and use your check card, they will donate $100 to the charity of your choice. Or, if you don't want to give it to charity, they will give you a $50 gift card to keep for yourself. Let me be clear: I like this program, and I'm glad they are looking for ways to help worthy charities. I did not like the way they advertised it.

Two ladies are talking about how their choir robes are not in good shape. One lady says that she started a checking account with Suntrust and now she could get a new choir robe...one with gold lining! Then, she got all of her choir buddies to start checking accounts with Suntrust so that all of them could get a lot more choir robes "with a lot more gold lining".

I thought, "Of all the things they could use to attract Christians to give to charity, do they really think the reason we give to charity is so that we can get nicer things for ourselves? They must not understand how Christians think."

Then it bothered me more, because the more I thought about it, the more I'm afraid they might be right. I hope not.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I really think we need new communion trays and the carpet in our auditorium is outdated... who cares that there are lost souls that need to be ministered to or poor and needy people (in our own country) that are in need of help...

    What a ridiculous commercial. Your right though, it is sad and somewhat scary that this could be the perspective of christians.

    ReplyDelete