Monday, September 28, 2009

Perspicacity for the Day: Robert Burton (1577-1640)

So I haven't done many series of posts in a while. I have a couple of new pictures of Nacho that may make it on here, as well as a few allusions. I thought it might be fun, though, to make a series of posts on Mondays to provide some insights on life, taken from a wide array of people and places. So for a few weeks, I'll pick a person, and give a few of what I consider their best quotes.

I'm going to call this series "Perspicacity for the Day". Perspicacity is a noun form of the adjective perspicacious, which means "having a ready insight into and understanding of things." I hope these morsels will offer some valuable insights, that will help motivate us to live each week with a sense of purpose and empowerment.

Robert Burton (1577-1640)
- Old friends become bitter enemies on a sudden for toys and small offenses.
- Idleness is an appendix to nobility.
- We can make mayors and officers every year, but not scholars.
- A mere madness, to live like a wretch and die rich.
- Birds of a feather will gather together.
- For "ignorance is the mother of devotion," as all the world knows.
- A good conscience is a continual feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment