Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Maker of the Universe

I'm a huge Phil Keaggy fan. He's one of the most talented guitar players alive, he's a brilliant songwriter, and he's a passionate follower of Christ. Much of his music I like is instrumental acoustic guitar stuff. But many of his songs have lyrics, and he has a very Paul McCartney-ish voice that I enjoy.

I was listening to a live DVD of him that I have, and I noticed a song I hadn't payed much attention to before called Maker of the Universe. The basic idea is that when Christ died, he died by elements which he himself had created. To me, this really deepens the idea that God gave his only Son for us, providing our perfect sacrifice. God not only gave the sacrifice, but he even provided the means by which his son suffered and died.

These words really made me feel a deeper appreciation for what God has done for me, and I thought I would share the lyrics with you here.
The Maker of the universe,
As Man for man was made a curse.
The claims of Law which He had made,
Unto the uttermost He paid.
His holy fingers made the bough,
Which grew the thorns that crowned His brow.
The nails that pierced His hands were mined
In secret places He designed.

He made the forest whence there sprung
The tree on which His body hung.
He died upon a cross of wood,
Yet made the hill on which it stood.
The sky that darkened o'er His head,
By Him above the earth was spread.
The sun that hid from Him it's face
By His decree was poised in space.

The spear which spilled His precious blood
Was tempered in the fires of God.
The grave in which His form was laid
Was hewn in rocks His hands had made.

The throne on which He now appears
Was His for everlasting years.
But a new glory crowns His brow
And every knee to Him shall bow.

No comments:

Post a Comment