Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Evangelical

I've been trying for a couple of years to get someone to give me a good definition of what an "evangelical" Christian is. I can't as of yet discern whether I am one or not. One friend told me that basically anyone who would fit in with James Dobson's audience could probably consider themselves evangelical. Then again, it seems that many who use this label tend to downplay the importance of baptism and the Lord's Supper, which makes me feel a good bit distanced from the bunch. But I think on social issues I fit in pretty well with them. Is being evangelical more about one's theology or sociology? Can you get more than two or three "evangelicals" to agree on a strict definition of what an "evangelical" is?

So again, how should one define "evangelical"? And if any of you do consider yourselves evangelical, please tell me what it is about you that makes you one.

Just curious.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say that most of the people who listen to Dobson would be fundamentalists rather than evangelicals. I don't know that I can offer a definition that clearly defines any of these terms, but I see things on a continuum.

    Fundy---------Evang.--------Liberal

    The Evangelicals are those who aren't willing to throw away a strong view of scripture (which stands over and above the authority of the church), but they aren't willing to abandon a world which is hurting and in need of the power of the gospel.

    I think that the emerging church is trying to continue the moves made by evangelicals and combining the good that can be found in all the approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thanks for the response, James. Very interesting! Again, this seems to be one of those things that it is possible to kind of perceive without being able to concretely define. That gives me a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete