Thursday, December 14, 2006

One of My Favorite People

Last Saturday, we had our 2nd annual "Breakfast with Santa" at church. We provide free pictures and a free pancake breakfast for anyone who shows up. It's a way of trying to get better connected with the community where our church is. Most of our members show up and participate, and it is such a wonderful time to visit with each other and do something good that's a lot of fun.

In the picture is one of my favorite people. Her name is Ruth Brown, and she's 94 years old. Her nephew is one of the elders at my church. Recently, she, her brother and his wife all moved to Rose Bud to be closer to family. Aunt Ruth (as I call her) has so much personality. She had always greeted me warmly, when she'd come as a visitor. But when they moved, and placed membership, she caught me on the way out the door one Sunday.

Ruth gave me a huge smile and a warm handshake and then started telling me several things in a lively manner. "I just love you! I think you're great! I think this church is great! I'm so happy to be here! I'm 94 years old, and I've never had any children, but I love all my nieces and nephews like they were my own! I'm so happy to be 94! I love life! I love people! God has blessed me so much!"

Ruth never has anything negative to say, and if she has to address something she isn't fond of, she finds a way to put a positive spin on it. I really enjoy old people who haven't forgotten what it's like to receive the Kingdom of Heaven like a child. Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment