Saturday, December 03, 2005

Churches of Christ and the First World War

Earlier this week, I had a paper due. I wrote it about the views of churches of Christ reflected in the Gospel Advocate from 1915-1922, the time of WWI. Formerly, churches of Christ were predominatly pacifist, but that changed by the end of WWII. If you're interested in reading it, you can either click here, or send me an e-mail and I'll e-mail you it in Word format.

I haven't gotten a grade on it yet, so I don't promise that it's good or accurate, but I did read through about 8,000 pages of old Gospel Advocates. I find this subject very interesting, and am working on another paper along a similar line. If I think it's as good as this one, I might post it when I finish it.

3 comments:

  1. not only pacifist, but also anti governent. David Lipscomb would role over in his grave if he heard people go on about the Republican party as they do now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...you're absolutely right. That is one thing I point out in my paper. During WWI, even though the GA writers insisted that they were against Christians killing in war, J.C. McQuiddy actually makes a statment that patriotism is the greatest thing in the world except for Christianity. Lipscomb definitely would not have agreed with that. They were starting to be fans of being pro-America...just not pro-American military involvement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha Ha! I tracked you down! I'm about to download this paper of yours. Pretty pumped, actually. I'm a bit of a pacifist myself, and I have been incredibly curious about this monumental change in our heritage's ideology.

    I assume this is for Restoration Theology? Greg M. has taken our RT class into blogform. We'd love to have you join the conversation. You can link to it from my latest post: "Restoration 2.0"

    ReplyDelete